In Which We Go Camping, Part III


Saturday was hot. It got up to 80 degrees with air thick and damp. I know to many who come from warmer climes this seems like nothing, but 80 degrees in northern Maine at the end of May makes you feel like you just stepped into the Amazon. Nothing is ever quite dry and even taking dips in the cold water of the Penobscot River or Canada Falls Lake fully refreshes you (not that we try it out many times).


The beauty of camping in a fairly secluded spot is that nakedness is not only allowable, but fully embraced. M. relished every opportunity to dispose of his clothes and was very proud to extend his potty training to stripping off his pants and adding water to the river.


Oh, there were so very many frogs to collect, as well. E. and J. had hands, pockets, and rain boots filled with them. The favorites are pictured above: Charles (named by E., and I’m not quite sure where the name came from, either), Fatty (who was not fat), and Jeff (named by J., again, for reasons unknown to the adults). A good many hours were spent altering the so-called tide pools for the frogs, along with figuring out which places had the best dining options and were safest from predators. For two kids who love to say they hate school, they sure learned a lot and also showed just how much they know!


I took the kayak out one more time on Saturday, along with my in laws. We paddled down Canada Falls Lake, which we had visited before, some four years previously (coincidentally, the weekend I realized I was pregnant with M.!). I had first learned how to kayak there, and, on the off chance you’re a novice kayaker and find yourself on the Golden Road in Maine, this is a wonderfully calm and beautiful lake to practice on!


About halfway through the paddle, we spotted this young eagle sitting on an uniquely colored rock. We didn’t want to get too close, but I got close enough to take this not so fabulous picture. None of us had been this close to an eagle before and it was an incredible opportunity. We were able to watch him for several minutes as he appeared to be enjoying his lunch. Eventually he flew off and we paddled on.

On our way back to shore, I paddled ahead of my in-laws while they went to go check out the rock the eagle had been on, intrigued by colors. Well, as it turns out, it wasn’t a rock at all, but a dead moose! The moose had likely been there since winter, and chances are the lunch the eagle had been enjoying was the moose itself (I’ll admit, there’s a bit of an ick factor for me here).


After a busy morning, a good portion of the afternoon was spent in our pop-up camper. E. and J. had been discussing the hilarity of a cross between a frog and a unicorn all day and finally decided they  needed to write about it. Pictured above are the authors/illustrators deep in the creative process. M. did his part by coloring quietly beside them, offering input as needed.

Due to the ridiculous number of days we were gone and the crazy number of pictures I took, I’m dividing the recounting of this trip into a few posts. This is the third installment. Here are parts I and II. Stay tuned for the next installment tomorrow! 


One Comment Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s